History of St. Saviour's, Orono,
Compiled by Grace Haldenby
In the early days the Anglicans living in Orono and on the farms
along the sixth line of Clarke Township had no church building
in which to meet. This did not dampen their enthusiasm and places
were found in the area where services could be held. They worshipped
occasionally in Newcastle and sometime s at Walsh’s schoolhouse
in Newtonville. For a time services were held at the Starkville
school house and in the old Presbyterian church on the fifth line
known as “Mulligan’s Church”.
Eventually services were held regularly in the Sons of Temperance
Hall in Orono. It was just south of the present day United Church
parsonage. During these years services were taken first by the
Rev. J.A.Hanna from Perrytown and later by the Rev. A.B. Chafee
also from Perrytown.
The first congregational meeting of which there is any record
was held on Aril 21, 1883 in the Sons of Temperance Hall with
the Rev. A.B. Chafee as chairman. Present at that first meeting
were Mr. John Stewart, Mr. Hallet, Mr. Morton and son, Mr. Watson,
Mr. Jamieson, Mr. Coatham and Mr. Odell. Mr. A.Odell was the first
vestry clerk. John Stewart was appointed as rector’s warden
and Henry Odell was elected as the first people’s warden.
The building which served as St. Saviour’s Parish hall until
recently was the first church built in Orono. It was erected by
the Bible Christians in 1845. By the late 1860’s their congregation
had outgrown the little wooden church and plans were made to build
a larger one on the same site. On Jan. 7.1869 the Clarke Township
Council granted the Managing Committee of the Bible Christian
Church in Orono “the free passage of drawing material through
the toll-gates for the erection of a brick church”.
In Professor Squair’s book “the Townships of Clarke
and Darlington” there is more information about the Bible
“Bible Christians originated in Devonshire, England in 1815.
In 1831 they sent missionaries to Canada,-to Prince Edward Island
and Cobourg Ontario. Circuit preachers changed every year or so.
At an annual conference held at Little Britain in 1879, the official
report showed concern for ‘too much conformity to the world:
family devotion much neglected’; notable decline in piety
amongst the young”.
James Eddy built the church in 1869 and it was use by the Bible
Christians until July 1, 1884 when they united with three other
Methodist churches and disappeared as a separate organization.
>> Next page