History of St. Saviour's, Orono, Ontario

1884-1984

Compiled by Grace Haldenby

1969

In 1969 the A.C. W. had an Easter salad supper. By 1973 there were two sittings at 5.00 and 6.00 p.m., but it was again described as the Easter tea. In May, Mary Morris retired after playing the organ for 35 years without pay. The church had a pot luck supper and card party in her honour, and presented her with a Prayer Book and Hymn Book. Sunday School started in the fall with seven pupils and a teenager, Rhonda Johnston, as teacher.

An anniversary service was held on the afternoon of November 2nd in 1969 to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the building. The Rt. Rev. H.H. Marsh, retired Bishop of the Yukon now living in Cobourg, was the special speaker.

It was reported in 1969 that St. Saviour’s had 35 families and 19 individuals in the congregation. The average attendance was 25 at morning services and 18 for evensong. There had been 30 communicants at Easter.

<< Previous page