History of St. Saviour's, Orono, Ontario

1884-1984

Compiled by Grace Haldenby

1937

In 1937 the A.Y.P.A. was still in operation. Mrs. G.J.Hall presented a report at the vestry meeting stating that their objective for the year was to raise $100 to help pay for the new furnace. This big (4’ square) woodburning furnace was under the church. The heat came up through the single large round rad at the centre back of the church.

Mary Morris recalls that during the thirties she had 12 young men in the choir. All of them went off to the war leaving her with just Irene Murray and George Morton. Three of the young men were killed in action including Cecil Bruton with the R.C.A.F. and Norman Bruton who had worked away from home and was in the choir only occasionally. One of the choir members, Gordon Bruton, who had also been a Sunday Schoolteacher and lay-reader at St. Saviour`s returned, graduated from Trinity College, Toronto in 1945 and was ordained the following year.

<< Previous page