History of St. Saviour's, Orono,
Compiled by Grace Haldenby
W.A. meetings were cancelled from October, 1918 to February,
1919 owing to the flu epidemic. This also disrupted the life of
the whole church and community.
A typical W.A. meeting as reported in their minutes describes
the women quilting whilst the men cut the grass or cut wood outside.
The men would join the ladies for lunch and they would all work
into the evening, sometimes until 8.30 p.m. Men mentioned by name
in one place were Richard, Robert and Edward Morton, brothers
who farmed on the sixth line.
An A.Y.P.A (Anglican Young People’s Association) is mentioned
in March of 1922. In February of the next year they put on a supper
and concert at Orono Town Hall. Newcastle furnished the music
and a ventriloquist from Toronto was engaged for the occasion
for which Mr. Fenning acted as chairman. The proceeds for the
evening amounted to $200.
In the W.A. minutes of 1918 it had been noted that $60 be given
toward a new floor in the school room, leaving the wardens to
decide the kind of floor. It was not until 1923 that the new floor
for the Sunday School room was mentioned at the Vestry Meeting
and the women voted later that the balance of the floor bill be
paid. In January of 1924 the women gave a voted of thanks to the
men who had built the new kitchen. In February they decided to
do W.A. (missions) work for the first part of the year so that
they might disband and call themselves some other name for few
months to work for the local church.