History of St. Saviour's, Orono,
Compiled by Grace Haldenby
In the spring of 1901 Mrs. Stewart had a choir picnic at her
home on the sixth line. In the fall of that year a Harvest Thanksgiving
service was mentioned.
In 1909 the Canadian Northern gave notice of an application to
parliament for an extension of time to begin work on a number
of their proposed branch lines, the one through Durham County
being included. By 1910 Orono became a railroad town. So many
construction workers, mostly Italian and Syrian, came in that
accommodations were running out and they were temporarily sheltered
in the fire hall until tents could be put up. Telephone lines
were being organized as fast as there were the necessary numbers
of subscribers (20). The first delivery of mail on the rural mail
route was made in 1910.